8.31.2003

Vanity came at the expense of her hair.

I remember how my mother used to turn head into works of art whenever she felt like it. She had it dyed brown, deep red, then back to black, and even went as far as having all sections crimped and styled. As a young girl, I marvelled at the thought that my mother could transform herself after just one trip to the salon. Then, I considered her a mutant. Like the Marvel characters I obsessed over. She could get away with any hairstyle, because she was pretty. I could only stare in awe. I inherited most of my father's masculine features.

Friday, I received a call from her. I could tell from how she sounded that something was not right. I refused to ask her directly. Although my curiosity preceded me, deep inside I knew I didn't want to know what ailed her.

She was losing hair.

I'm not sure if it was because she used to abuse her hair or if it was genetic. It didn't really matter, you see. For the present told her and the rest of the family that each time she looked at herself in the mirror, she could see her scalp glistening. Even from a distance. And it depresses her. I don't need to be told what it does to her self esteem. I could tell from her voice.

What was usually a cheery tone turned dark and glum. As if she were struggling to turn hair loss into some kind of childish joke. Her hair was falling. And it continued to fall despite numerous trips to the doctor. I could not help her. I honestly didn't know what to do. I sometimes wish I chose to live where my family was so I could hug them immediately at times like these. My mother is a strong person, yes. But I don't think I am strong enough to endure the insecurity and emotional pain she is probably feeling right now.

Looking at the bright side, I feel happy that the hair loss was not due to a terminal illness. That my mother will still live a longer, albeit hairless, life. The doctor told her to wait a month till some of the hair grows back. But she told me she couldn't wait. My beautiful, vain mother cannot endure another day having to see the glow on her scalp. The rest of the family would rather have that glow on her face, instead.

So I bought her a wig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home