9.04.2003

I regret not convincing any of my friends hard enough to watch the Apo Hiking Society/Hotdogs concert with me. That event might not happen again anytime soon. The singers are getting old and, morbid as it may sound, one of them may die in a few years-- Stripping 80's music backtrackers like me of the right to sound fulfillment. It's sad. I probably didn't want it desperately enough at that time. But now, as I think about how boring my life is albeit the everyday chaos, comfort seems to come not from where silence is, but from where my roots are.

I did not grow up listening to the Hotdogs. My musical orientation was based on Batibot songs and Vanilla Ice. At the time Manila sound was at its peak, I was still struggling to get on my feet and say "mama" and "papa". I envy those who can tell stories of the wild times based on their experience. Not that I didn't have wild moments growing up. But, you see, the music then was better. I developed the party attitude with sound that competes with a dishwasher in a bad mood. Perhaps that's why people had to get really drunk all the time. The more intoxicated one gets, the more the music becomes more soothing to ears. Drunkenness has become a coping mechanism for the tragedy that came upon club music. I never really liked it. It was just so in and happening that I had to give in lest I be fed to the dogs. I had to act as if I was enjoying myself. So I drank a lot. And drank some more. The price of maintaining popularity.

I wish I were an 80s kid. I might have been born in 81 but I never really had the chance to live THE LIFE. I should have been born earlier.

More 80s bands should come up with tandem concerts before they die out one by one. Today's kids have a right to hear what real music is and should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home