11.24.2003

No this is not blasphemy

When the Catholic Church said women who committed abortion can only confess their “sin” to a specific high priest, did they mean such “sin” is now forgiveable? Won’t it only decrease the fear of commission knowing that at the end of the so-called grave deed, a priest is available to absolve them of it? (I read an article on this on the PDI this week)

Now this is one of the reasons why I choose not to attend mass. The Church has become so inconsistent with its rules I don’t know what to follow and believe anymore. I do have a God and believe in Him. What I do not believe, however, is that the one-hour spiel of memorized chants could relieve of my burdens for the week. That’s insane. Does God really want His people to say the same things over and over? Wouldn’t he prefer that we take a more personalized (and sincere) approach?

Now I grew up with a Catholic school education and have been trained to memorize every song, verse, and whatever imaginable. I can effectively defend the Church’s stand on the issue using the lessons I extracted from school. But I made the choice. And my choice is to ask when things are not clear.

Frankly, right now, matters are far from apparent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home