12.18.2003

Where's my aguinald...oh shit...

3 days to go and I'll be safe and sound in Davao city, where my family is. Of course, that's not discounting the scenario that my plane could crash. (So to all those who have made a difference in my life, both good and bad, au revior. Till I haunt you in your sleep.)

I'll still be able to log-on to the Internet, thought. It's not like Davao is hapless-ville. That's why it's called a metropolis. Much like Metro Manila, only with less traffic and more cheery people and in stark contrast to Makati, where, as I told a friend last night, people walk around wearing smirks on their faces. (Ah, the urban workforce!)

Can't help but admit my excitement. I haven't been to Davao since the Holy Week this year and I wasn't even present last Christmas. I am crossing my fingers that my ninangs and ninongs won't think me too old to have aguinaldo. That sucks, don't you think? The way your titas believe that since you're earning your keep already, you don't need to be given presents.

Hazel and I have this tita who likes recycling gifts every occasion. By that, I mean, those wallets and mini-colognes she collected during her trips abroad about 5 years ago. I think she buys these in bulk and distributes them to everyone every chance she gets. So, yes, we both have been receiving the same bottles of cologne (but with intensifying degrees of brown, due to age, maybe) and wallets for the past couple of years.

And each time, gah! Each time, we have to smile widely and say, "thank you, tita! Of course I have forgotten this is exactly what you gave me last year and two years ago!" Siyempre we don't say the second part. We just grit our teeth the entire time. (Diba Zel?)

Kill me for this cliche, but REALLY it's the thought that counts during Christmas. So no matter what they give me, be it a hanky, a used book, a bottle of perfume, a game board ( I'm 22 years old, I don't want snakes and ladders, please, stop giving me something from the ages 4-6 bracket! I am childLIKE not childISH), wallets (sneer) or gasp! A Christmas card, it's the giving that holds weight.

I just wish they give the "thought" more thought this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home