1.20.2004

Moonlighting

I have to agree with my parents when they said writing as a profession will not bring me to the great financial heights I have been aching for. True. While freelancing may expose your byline to a number of publications (thus, earning you one step up the popularity ladder by the article), it certainly does not pay as well as a regular job, nor does it dish out the cash when expected.

One thing a freelancer must be prepared for is the delay in payment. I do not speak of the entire publication industry, only about 90% of it. (haha!) As much as I want to churn out only creative pieces of literature, I am compelled to write technical papers, manuals, business abstracts and all sorts involving writing, even brochures, just to get my bills paid on time.

There are some projects, though, that come as a one-time big-time affair. But money runs out eventually and I know wouldn't be able to keep writing once my mind gets distracted with frantically finding the next gig that would put money in my wallet.

This is the same reason why most writers opt to keep their 8-5, or in my case, 1-9 job to keep me going. It allows me to write, yes, but not the masterpieces I have been dreaming about. And sometimes, sadly, it strips of the passion little by little.

I have to be practical. For what use is an undernourished writer to the realm of words? And frankly, I have no plans of dying of hunger just yet.

In the meantime, that award-winning piece will have to wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home