10.13.2003

I read mail from the Cosmo people just minutes ago and they're promoting Tara's new book, Almost Married. The synopsis no doubt spells CHICK LIT. Tara's a very good writer. I wonder why she agreed to immerse herself in chick lit when she could do so much more. Have you read her essays? But hey, who am I to judge, right? It's her preference anyway. She's probably having fun writing it. (note: unlike me who's still finding my no-fail topic)

My eyes darted to the far bottom of the email and what I saw somehow shocked me. The book is only 150 pesos! Wow, summit people are definitely into this whole charity-based appreciate-literature BS. It's sad that Tara would agree that her work be printed in newsprint-resembling paper and even sold at gas stations nationwide. The marketing people probably thought it would be the best way to sell the book and make it more available to more readers. Not that I place too high an esteem on Tara's work. I mean, she's not exactly the "IT" writer of the moment. It just appears as though her book, which I'm sure was very well thought of and rigorously edited, was in the same level as Pinoy Tagalog pocketbooks. Seriously. I've seen summit books placed beside those cheesy mainstream novelettes.

Surely Summit could do so much better. Surely Tara deserves more. Which reminds me, I have to contact her about something. ARgh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home